Monday, December 24, 2012

The Gospel in 15 seconds...?

As the unofficial chaplain of the first shift Waffle House crew in Lincolnton, NC, I listen a lot, learn a lot, and think a lot.  I noted that not only does this crew work nearly every Sunday morning, but they also ALL must work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day--many of them working double shifts.  Some time back, I offered to bring in and offer Communion for those who wished to receive it.  I re-checked with the manager and he eagerly said, YES!  BRING IT!

Carol and Ashley
Today was the day.  During a packed pre-lunch rush, I sat at the "high bar" at the end.  I prepared the elements, noting the Christmas themed outfits and hats worn by the staff.  I sipped my coffee and watched and waited for small opportunities to share not only the elements of bread and juice, but also to share the story--THE story, the Gospel of Jesus Christ's death and resurrection and the meaning of that for us today.

Jason and Zach on the grill, small glimpse of Pam to the left
Busy?  Yes.  They rushed back and forth, orders being called out, "MARK ONE PLATE, SCATTERED WELL, COVERED, SMOTHERED, AND CAPPED!"  Cooks (usually 3 on the grill at once) scrambled to work in tandem as they called back orders, cooked, put the meals together and called for PICK UP!.

Management moved back and forth and tempers were flaring after a customer decided not only was she going to be unreasonably demanding, but that she was going to stay a while, too--apparently just to be grinchy.

There was a constant hum of customers, those seated and those waiting to be seated.  The guy next to me, blissfully oblivious to what I was doing (and that was cool with me) even after I explained it when he said "nice cup" to my chalice, talked and talked to me about the woman who was complaining about her food.  His language was peppered with "colorful metaphors" to help draw me a mental picture of the way he felt about the woman attacking our friends on the grill.

In other words, LIFE WAS HAPPENING ALL AROUND!  Far too chaotic to fit into what I had learned in seminary about the sacred need for a sacred setting for the sacred meal at a sacred table.  Yet here I was, grace in hand, feeling more and more inadequate by the minute.  It was hardly the setting I'm used to for communion.  We learn about the altar table during worship (called the Lord's Table with the elements on it), home communion, hospital and communion, even communion on retreats, etc...But this was not familiar territory.  I must admit, I was nervous.  So was the staff.  Had I misjudged our still budding relationship?  Were they not really eager to have this brought to them like I had thought?  Was I making a mistake?

Soon, one of the servers came over and said, "ok, I'm ready!"  I knew with the crowd and with their responsibilities, I had precious little time.  I could only say, this is to remind us of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.  He died for our sins and so we could be saved." I offered a piece of sweet Hawaiian Bread and the chalice, quickly explaining the means of receiving through the intincion method.  The Body and Blood of Christ was offered for you...She took the bread, dipped it in the juice and consumed the elements.   I smiled and she realized that was it!  "Wow!" she said, "That was cool.  I've never done that before!"  There was a server that didn't know me, watching.  I offered, she refused politely.  Oops, maybe this was a bad idea.  No one else was coming--like for a long time.

But then, one by one, they approached until most of them had received the elements.  No pressure, not all were interested and that was surely OK.  I was amazed that almost every one of them remarked that this was the first time they had ever received communion--like in ever!  With each, I had only seconds to tell the story, to offer the elements and instructions, and then let them go back to work.  And then I would wait until the next one found a few seconds.

much more proper and liturgical
As I reflected on the experience, I had to ask myself some questions...Was it liturgical?  Of course not.  Was it proper?  Was the dignity of the service maintained?  Probably not according to many.  Did it adequately demonstrate the sacred meaning of the sacrament and purpose of Communion?  hmmm.  I hope so.  But you know, we Methodists see the Sacred Meal as being a means of grace and practice an open table in celebrating the Eucharist.  And so, it was....simply and yet amazingly that--a means of Grace.

The gratitude of those who chose to receive was evident... "That's the first time I've done that!  Thank you so much for thinking of us!"

My, how we've failed as pastors--as the Church.  We offer communion to those who come--we practice an open table, yes; but the tables are locked up in our sanctuaries behind closed doors and liturgical restrictions.  When there is an entire world out there who have never experienced the grace that is offered in the simple offering of bread and juice (wine).  We forget that when Jesus initiated this simple service, it was after a sacred meal but it was ordinary elements of bread and wine--common meal for common people and his instruction was that as often as we partake of this common experience, we should tell the story, share the food, spread the love (and experience the GRACE).

Simple...yet Grace abounds
I've experienced many times the first time someone has received the Holy Meal.  But this was different.  Here, amidst and amongst the hustle and bustle of ordinary life, folks experienced communion, most for the first time, in their life setting.  Communion, like Jesus, comes to them as they are, where they are, to meet their needs.  Grace Upon Grace.  Grace abounds.  The Body of Christ broken for you.  The Blood of Christ spilled out for you.  Simple yet extraordinary.

I'm still learning...We still have a lot to learn.  But only if we get out past the walls and quit trying to force others into our church mold.  It's time we found a way to mold the church to the world's need, while maintaining the simple yet extraordinary gospel of Jesus.

May the Grace of God be with you as you take the opportunity today and all your tomorrows to see Jesus in the simple and the extraordinary...





Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment